A neighbor has suggested that I replace the existing electrical outlets in my house with something called ground fault circuit interrupters. Should I change them?

Also known as GFCIs, ground fault circuit interrupters are designed to cut off electrical power when a frayed section of live wire is exposed to moisture. GFCIs can be expensive, so if you are going to replace only some of your house's electrical outlets with GFCIs, make sure they are located in areas that have high moisture levels. Kitchens, bathrooms, and crawl spaces are ideal candidates for GFCIs, as well as any outlets found outside your house. Be sure to test ground fault circuit interrupters every month.

Popular Videos