Six Tips for Healthy Hair
Follow these simple tips and tricks for beautiful, healthy, full hair.
- Feed your hair by eating a healthy diet. The condition of your hair depends on the internal state of your body. A diet that is adequate in vitamins and minerals – especially silica, iron, sulphur, zinc, the B vitamins and vitamin C – is vital for good hair nutrition.
- Avoid blow-dryers, curling wands and electric heated rollers, as they make hair brittle. Instead, allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Protect your hair from the elements. Wear a sun hat in summer and a bathing cap when swimming because the sun, salt and chlorine all damage your hair. For extra hair protection, rub a little olive oil onto the ends of your hair before you go swimming.
- Be wary of prescription medicines. The contraceptive Pill, diet pills, thyroid drugs, cortisone and antibiotics are just some that can cause brittleness, and even hair loss.
- Massage your head to improve scalp health. Besides daily brushing, it’s the best thing you can do for your circulation. Use your fingertips and palms and rotate them in small circles for 3-5 minutes every day.
- For a rich conditioning treatment, warm 1/2 cup apricot kernel or sweet almond oil and massage it into your scalp and hair. Wrap a warm, damp towel around your head, then cover it with a plastic shower cap. After about 45 minutes, shampoo it out.
Originally Published: August 24, 2010