Zucchini Walnut Cake
“What gardener doesn’t have extra zucchini? When it’s abundant, I shred and freeze plenty so I have it on hand to bake this moist zucchini cake recipe all year long. The cream cheese frosting is yummy, and the big panful always goes fast at picnics or potlucks.” —Marie Hoyer, Hodgenville, Kentucky
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts optional
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- additional chopped toasted walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the zucchini, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts if desired.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
1 piece: 275 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.