White Bean Chicken Chili
“My sister shared this white bean chicken chili recipe with me. I usually double it and add one extra can of beans, then serve with cheddar biscuits or warmed tortillas. The jalapeno adds just enough heat to notice but not too much for my children.” —Kristine Bowles, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained divided (15 oz each)
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado optional
- Quartered cherry tomatoes optional
- Chopped cilantro optional
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender. Add jalapeno, garlic, oregano and cumin; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mash 1 cup beans; stir in 1/2 cup broth. Stir bean mixture and the remaining whole beans and broth into chicken mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-3-1/2 hours. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese; add toppings if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
- Reserve your drained bean liquid—it's a perfect thinner for chili and won't water down your dish.
- Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 cup: 344 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 894mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fibre), 25g protein.