The Ultimate Moose Burger Recipe
Chef Katie Hayes of Newfoundland’s Bonavista Social Club shares her ultimate moose burger recipe. With one moose for every four people on the Rock, it’s no surprise this gamey meat is common fare.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 moose meat ground
- 1/2 cup caramelized onion cooled
- 4 tsp melted bacon fat from cooked bacon strips
- 1/2 tsp fresh savoury
- 1/2 egg beaten
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 slices aged cheddar
- In large bowl, combine onion, garlic, egg, bacon fat and savoury. Add moose meat, mixing just until combined.
- Form into 4 patties, each 2 cm thick. Transfer to tray, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Add oil. Sear patties, turning once until digital thermometer inserted into centre reads 160°F (71°C).
- Top each with cheese and broil or cover until melted.