Tuscan-Style Chicken, Bean and Tomato Soup
This is a great winter soup, and it freezes well, too! Simply divide it into individual portions before freezing. Use some different beans in the recipe – chickpeas or lentils are both great options.
Photo: Reader's Digest Brain Power Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 410 g four-bean mix rinsed and drained
- 300 g chicken thighs boneless, skinless, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon grated zest optional
- 150 g baby spinach leaves chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion for 10 minutes, until soft and golden. Add the carrot and celery, and cook for 5 minutes, until just soft.
- Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, four-bean mix, chicken stock and 1 cup (250 ml) water. Add the bay leaf, oregano and lemon zest, if using. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped baby spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes, until wilted.
You can replace the four-bean mix with 2 cups cooked beans made from 2/3 cup (140 g) dried beans.
Each serving provides 1053 kJ, 252 kcal, 23 g protein, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrate (10 g sugars), 6 g fibre and 1030 mg sodium.