“All creatures of All Hallows’ Eve are sure to delight in this treat with its unexpected surprise. You can use store-bought frosting to keep prep simple.” —Beverly Nowling, Bristol, Florida
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1-1/2dozen||1hour + chilling||20minutes + cooling|
|1-1/2dozen||1hour + chilling|
|20minutes + cooling|
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package white cake mix regular size
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp orange paste food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate melted
- 4 tbsp to 5evaporated milk
- Assorted decorations:
- regular and Mega M&M's
- Laffy Taffy
- Candy Corn
- Mega Buttons
- Oreo cookies
- edible pens
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, egg whites, oil and food coloring; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Top with 2 teaspoons chocolate mixture. Bake 18-22 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Beat in melted chocolate and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Decorate as desired.