Thyme Roasted Turkey
“It’s easy for flavours to get lost when using too many seasonings together. When in doubt, a simple combination of butter and fresh thyme captures the essence of Thanksgiving for a classic turkey dinner.” —Alma Winberry, Great Falls, Montana
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||15minutes||3hours + standing|
|3hours + standing|
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 turkey 12 to 14 pounds
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub outside of turkey with remaining butter mixture. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Discard toothpicks. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.