Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
“Mild-flavoured yellow squash gets a big boost from flavour-packed chiles, jalapenos and red onion. This side dish also works with zucchini.” —Tommy Lombardo, Euclid, Ohio
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|10servings||15minutes||40minutes + standing|
|40minutes + standing|
- 7 medium yellow summer squash sliced (about 10 cups)
- 2-1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can chopped green chiles 4 ounces
- 1 can diced jalapeno peppers drained, 4 ounces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine squash, 3/4 cup cheese, onion, chiles and jalapenos. Sprinkle with flour and salt; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, until squash is tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Spoon salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with green and red onions before serving.
3/4 cup: 143 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 8g protein.