Swiss Mushroom Loaf
“I’m always prepared for recipe requests when I serve this outstanding stuffed loaf. It’s excellent not only as an appetizer but also as a side for pasta or chili.” —Heidi Mellon, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 loaf Italian bread unsliced, 1 pound
- 1 block Swiss cheese cut into cubes, 8 ounces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup softened butter cubed
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Place cheese cubes and mushrooms in cuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining ingredients; microwave, covered, on high until butter is melted, 30-60 seconds. Stir until blended. Spoon over bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, about 40 minutes.
1 serving: 214 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fibre), 9g protein.