Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple and Red Lentil Soup
Sweet, hearty and deliciously spicy, this soup makes the perfect appetizer or main course.
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, apple and onion; fry, stirring often, until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water, lentils, ginger, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika and black pepper; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Working in batches, pour the cooled soup into a blender, filling no more than halfway. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses, before leaving it on to purée. (Alternately, you can use an immersion blender and purée the soup in pot.) Return to pot and reheat before serving.