Sweet and Sour Rabbit
This rabbit recipe takes an interesting twist. The meat is glazed in delicious sweet and sour sauce and adds pine nuts and raisins to the mix for a sensational meal.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
50 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
1 rabbit, cut in 8 pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) flour
125 ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
125 ml (½ cup) golden raisins
125 ml (½ cup) pine nuts, toasted
Flat parsley, chopped, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet that has a lid, heat the oil over medium heat and brown the rabbit pieces lightly on each side. Season with salt and pepper and set aside on a large platter.
- Wipe the fat from the skillet and return it to the stove. Add the sugar and flour and stir to combine.
- Deglaze with the vinegar, add the stock and bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Return the rabbit pieces to the pan, add the raisins and return to the boil.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts and continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.