Sweet And Sour Cranberry Chicken
This unusual dish is so delicious it is sure to be a big hit. Serve over steamed rice or couscous. If you are having a small holiday dinner or want something different, this is perfect.
|4 to 6people||45minutes|
|4 to 6people|
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces, bone-in
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Pat chicken dry. For rub, combine brown sugar with paprika, salt and thyme. Pat into chicken. Cook immediately or marinate in the refrigerator a few hours.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven. Brown chicken pieces well. Place chicken in a single layer, skin side up in a 9"x13" (3L) baking dish. Discard all but a thin layer of oil in the pan. (Clean out pan if sugar burns.)
- Add onions and brown well. Add ginger and cook a minute longer.
- Add vinegar and stir up any bits of onion or chicken from the bottom of the pan. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add cranberries, honey and salt and pepper. Cook gently 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken, cover and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reaches 160F (71C).
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Bonnie says: This unusual dish is so delicious it is sure to be a big hit. Serve over steamed rice or couscous. If you are having a small holiday dinner or want something different this is perfect. You can also make this with boneless, skinless chicken breasts but they cook faster than bone-in chicken pieces. Cook them 15 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered or until a meat thermometer registers 160F (71C) in a preheated 350F (180C).
Fran says: Chicken is rich in protein and B-vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and B12. When you remove the skin, you reduce the fat in a 75-gram cooked chicken breast from 7 grams to 2 grams.