Summer Vegetable Soup
“This vegetable soup is loaded with garden goodness, from zucchini and green beans to celery and potato, but it’s the turmeric that gives it a tasty new twist. It’s one of our favourite summer soups!” —Edith Ruth Muldoon, Baldwin, New York
Taste of Home
- 1 small onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can navy beans 15-1/2 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled red potato
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in celery leaves and tomato paste. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
1-1/2 cups: 210 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1128mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fibre), 13g protein.