Strata with Chard
This turn on the classic brunch dish marries the mild spinach-like flavour of chard with the richness of a quiche, and it’s oh-so easy-to-make!
- 6 cups crusty bread buttered, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups chard chopped
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 3 slices smoked salt pork dice
- 7 eggs
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the chard and the salt pork in the butter until the chard is wilted.
- Butter a 1.5 L (6 cup) soufflé dish.
- Assemble the strata layers in the following order: one-third of the bread, one-third of the chard mixture, and one-third of the cheeses. Repeat twice, ending with the cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour over the strata.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Remove the strata from the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Uncover and bake until the mixture is set and the strata is puffy and golden (about 50 minutes).