Strata with Chard
This turn on the classic brunch dish marries the mild spinach-like flavour of chard with the richness of a quiche, and it’s oh-so easy-to-make!
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the chard and the salt pork in the butter until the chard is wilted.
- Butter a 1.5 L (6 cup) soufflé dish.
- Assemble the strata layers in the following order: one-third of the bread, one-third of the chard mixture, and one-third of the cheeses. Repeat twice, ending with the cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour over the strata.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Remove the strata from the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Uncover and bake until the mixture is set and the strata is puffy and golden (about 50 minutes).