The deep orange squash puree in these delicious breakfast treats packs each bite with beta-carotene and fibre.
- 3 cups cake flour sifted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk low-fat
- 12 oz forzen pureed squash thawed
- 1-1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Preheat waffle iron.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In large bowl stir together eggs and sugar. Stir in squash, buttermilk, oil, zest, and vanilla. Whisk in flour mixture just until smooth.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter, about ½ cup for each 4-inch square waffle, onto iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Place finished waffle on baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Make remaining waffles, coating waffle iron with cooking spray as needed. Serve hot with fresh fruit or hot maple syrup.