Sorrento Lemon Pie
Grown in Southern Italy, Sorento lemons are an ideal ingredient for desserts, cocktails and other sweet treats, such as this delicious pie.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold and unsalted
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening cold
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ice water as required
- 4 large lemon juiced and zest-grated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp Melted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- to taste whipping cream
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and shortening and pulse on and off about 20 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add ¼ cup ice water and pulse to combine. Continue pulsing on and off until the dough begins to gather in a ball, adding a little more ice water, if necessary. Remove dough, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough and press into a 23 cm (9 inch) pie plate with removable bottom. Prick all over with a fork, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and fill with dried peas or beans.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for 25 minutes. Remove aluminum and peas and set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and zest, sugar, corn starch, egg yolks and melted butter. Cook until thick and pour into the cooled pie crust.
- Bake on the lower rack for 20 minutes, remove from oven and cool at room temperature.
- Serve with whipped cream.