Clover Leaf Sockeye Salmon Cherubs
Using Clover Leaf Wild Selections, the first premium line of sustainably-caught seafood that directly funds conservation programs, this delicious appetizer by Chef Brad Long of Cafe Belong gives you the most bang for your buck.
Photo: Cafe Belong
- 1 can Wild Selections Sockeye Salmon skinless, boneless
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 medium potato peeled, boiled and roughly grated
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- Sauce & Garnish
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine all of the cherub ingredients aggressively until well blended.
- Divide into equal portions.
- Heat a deep fryer, or a pan with an inch of oil, to 350 F.
- Take each portion and roll between the palms of your hands. The blobs of batter will be sticky and begin to look "spikey" as you shape them into either balls or oblongs. As each ball is shaped, very carefully let it fall into the hot oil, being careful not to splash or get it on your fingers. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherubs from the oil when they begin to brown but are still showing pink through the crust. Drain on a rack or paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, maple syrup, and salt. Serve each cherub in a puddle of maple yogurt.