So-Sweet Squash Pickles
“These crisp crunchy slices, seasoned with celery seed and mustard seed, have a sweet-sour taste that everyone is sure to relish! The colourful blend of yellow squash, sweet red pepper and chopped onion makes a beautiful presentation.” —Eleanor Sundman Farmington, Connecticut
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4cups||20minutes + standing||10minutes + chilling|
|4cups||20minutes + standing|
|10minutes + chilling|
- 3 small yellow summer squash thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 tsp mustard seed
- 3/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- Place squash, pepper and onion in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour to drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add vegetables; return to a boil. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Transfer to a covered container; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 days before serving. May be stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
1/2 cup: 123 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fibre), 1g protein.