Slow-Cooker Mixed Fruit and Pistachio Cake
“This cake is easy to make on a lazy day and is a guaranteed delicious dessert that can be enjoyed for several days—if you can make it last that long. It’s also wonderful for fall weather and the holidays.” —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||20minutes||2-1/2hours + cooling|
|2-1/2hours + cooling|
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can jellied cranberry sauce (8 oz)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit bits
- 1 cup pistachios
- sweetened whipped cream optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, combine the next 7 ingredients. Add cranberry mixture to flour mixture; stir until smooth. Add dried fruit and pistachios.
- Pour batter into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; place in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Lay a 14x12-in. piece of parchment over top of slow cooker under the lid. Cook, covered, on high until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 2-1/2 hours. Remove dish from slow cooker to a wire rack. Cool 30 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
- Cut into wedges with a serrated knife; if desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream.
1 slice: 375 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.