Slow-Cooker Chicken Parmesan
“I love making this satisfying dish—it’s easy and elegant, and the slow cooker minimizes my time in the kitchen. I make this during football season, too. For game days, I skip the pasta and serve the chicken on submarine rolls with a bit of the sauce and some chopped lettuce. You could also cut the chicken breasts in half and make sliders.” —Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4servings||25minutes||4hours 10 minutes|
|4hours 10 minutes|
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 6 ounces each
- 1 jar marinara sauce 24 ounces
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt. In another bowl, combine egg and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat both sides, patting to help coating adhere.
- Transfer chicken to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken. Cook, covered, on low for 4-6 hours or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Top with cheese, recover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted. If desired, serve with hot cooked pasta.
1 serving: 475 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 1689mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fibre), 50g protein.