Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Flank Steak
“This flavourful, tender beef dish has been a go-to recipe for many years; it’s a meal lifesaver on days when I’m going to be late getting home.” —Anne Merrill, Croghan, New York
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 beef flank steak 1-1/2 lb
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can chopped green chilies 4 oz
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown steak on both sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Pour over steak.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Slice steak across the grain; serve with onion mixture.
4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup sauce: 316 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 34g protein.