Slow-Cooked Italian Chicken
“With its nicely seasoned tomato sauce, this enticing chicken entree is especially good over pasta. My father loved this dish.” —Deanna D’Auria, Banning, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4 ounces each
- 1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can stewed tomatoes cut up, 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- grated Parmesan cheese
- minced fresh basil
- Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices into a large saucepan; skim fat. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and pasta. If desired, top with Parmesan cheese and basil.
1 serving: 231 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fibre), 28g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.