“I simmer my rich and creamy shrimp soup in the slow cooker. Because the chowder is ready in less than four hours, it can be prepared in the afternoon and served to dinner guests that night.” —Will Zunio, Gretna, Louisiana
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings (3 quarts)||15minutes||3-1/2hours|
|12servings (3 quarts)||15minutes|
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans evaporated milk 12 ounces each
- 2 cans condensed cream of potato soup 10-3/4 ounces each, undiluted
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup 10-3/4 ounces each, undiluted
- 1 can white or shoepeg corn 7 ounces, drained
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp
- 3 ounces cream cheese cubed
Portions: servings (3 quarts)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, milk, soups, corn, Creole seasoning and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in shrimp and cream cheese. Cook 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through and cheese is melted. Stir to blend.
If you don’t have Creole seasoning in your cupboard, you can make your own using 1/4 tsp. each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
1 cup: 202 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fibre), 20g protein.