Saucy Mediterranean Chicken with Rice
“The hints of Mediterranean flavour in this chicken dish make it a family favourite.” —Tabitha Alloway, Edna, Kansas
Photo: Taste of Home
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- minced fresh parsley optional
- In a small bowl, mix the water, tomato paste, lemon juice, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, ginger, fennel, turmeric and, if desired, coriander until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in chicken; brown 3-4 minutes. Pour water mixture into pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice. If desired, top with parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
- Freeze leftover tomato paste on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet in 1-tablespoon mounds. Once frozen, transfer to a zip-top freezer bag.
- Long grain rice triples when cooked and instant rice doubles. So you'll need 1 cup uncooked long grain or 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant to yield about 3 cups hot cooked rice.
3/4 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup rice: 394 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 27g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.