Sardine Salad with Almonds
High in omega-3 oils from the sardines, this salad is also rich in anti-oxidants, thanks to the orange, almonds and salad greens.
Photo: Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed, cut into flat pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed, cut into flat pieces
- 3 1/2 oz sardines in spring-water drained
- 1/4 cup raw almonds sliced
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat grill (broiler) or chargrill pan to high. Put orange juice, zest and pepper in a salad bowl and whisk together. Continue whisking while gradually adding oil. Add onion and mixed salad leaves (spinach and arugula) to bowl and toss to coat.
- Put bell peppers on grill rack or chargrill pan and cook for 8-10 minutes. Turn several times until skin is charred and flesh is tender.
- Meanwhile, with a knife, split sardines lengthwise and remove backbones.
- Allow bell peppers to cool. Peel off skin and slice flesh into long strips. Stir bell peppers and sardines into salad. Scatter almonds over salad and serve.
You could use fresh sardine fillets for this recipe. After the bell peppers are cooked in Step 2, briefly grill of chargrill 3-4 fillets per person, 2 minutes on one side only.