Russian Cabbage Borscht
A deep-crimson soup, loaded with seasonal veggies.
- 1/2 head red cabbage coarsely chopped
- 2 small red beets peeled and chopped
- 2 small potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- to taste ground black pepper
- Place potatoes, beets and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove potatoes and beets with a slotted spoon, and reserve broth.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Fry onion, celery, carrot, cabbage, salt, caraway seeds and pepper, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved broth and the water; simmer, covered, until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add reserved potatoes and beets, and dill. Stir in tomato purée, cider vinegar and honey. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.