Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Orange Dressing
“Roasted pumpkin and dried fruits make this beautiful seasonal salad a natural match for holiday recipes. The dressing is a light, tasty mix of honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top it all off with crumbled goat cheese for that final tangy touch.” —Sasha King, Westlake Village, California
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 medium butternut squash or pie pumpkin about 3 pounds
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp honey divided
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 10 oz fresh arugula r 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup dried apricots thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 package fresh goat cheese crumbled, 5.3 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and cut pumpkin into 1-in. cubes, reserving the seeds. Place pumpkin cubes in a large bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place pumpkin in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; bake until tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Place seeds on a baking sheet; bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Place orange juice, vinegar, shallot, garlic, orange zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 15-20 minutes. Strain into a small bowl. Gradually whisk in remaining 6 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, apricots, cranberries and roasted pumpkin. Sprinkle with goat cheese and pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with dressing before serving.
1-1/2 cups: 195 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fibre), 2g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.