Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Candied Walnuts
This refreshing salad makes for a satisfying meal on its own. (If you try serving it as a side, it could very well upstage the main course!)
- 1/2 lb red beets trimmed
- 1/4 cup walnuts halved
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 oz goat cheese soft, mild and crumbled
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wrap beets in a single layer in aluminum foil and roast in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 1 to 1½ hours, depending on their size, or until tender. Cool slightly. Rub off the skins and trim ends. Cut into wedges or slices.
- In a small, heavy skillet, combine walnuts and sugar. Watching closely, cook on medium-high heat until sugar melts and coats walnuts. Add salt. Place on a baking sheet and cool.
- For the dressing, combine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk the oil into the mix.
- Right before serving, toss greens with just enough dressing to coat. Divide greens between two plates, then top with beets, cheese and walnuts.