Rhubarb Tart with Shortbread Crust
“Here’s a perfect ending to a grilled summer meal! Between the creamy texture, the pretty colour and the buttery crust, this recipe is simply delightful.” —Emily Seefeldt, Red Wing, Minnesota
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3-3/4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb about 1-1/4 pounds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons butter cubed
- 4 drops red food colouring optional
- additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened and rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- For crust, place the flour, pecans, butter, confectioners' sugar and salt in a food processor; cover and process until crumbly. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom. Bake crust at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, zest and rhubarb mixture until blended. Add butter; cook until butter is melted, whisking constantly. Stir in food colouring if desired; pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes longer or until centre is almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.