Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
“This strawberry rhubarb pie with frozen fruit recipe has become a favourite with us. My husband never liked rhubarb until he tasted this pie…now he asks me to make it often!” — Sandy Brown, Lake Worth, Florida
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dough for double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat. Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired, and orange zest. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/4-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Cover edge loosely with foil.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender, 40-50 minutes. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
1 piece: 470 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fibre), 5g protein.