Red Velvet Jar Cake
“I love to make these red velvet jar cakes for friends, family and teachers. Red velvet is my favourite during the holidays, but you can use your favourite cake and frosting flavors. Then dress up the jars with homemade labels and ribbons for gifting. Don’t forget to tie a spoon to the jar; everyone likes to dig right in!” —Lillie Collier, Mobile, Alabama
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||30minutes||35minutes + cooling|
|35minutes + cooling|
- 1 package red velvet cake mix regular size
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 oz)
- 3 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 packages cream cheese softened, (8 oz each)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp 2% milk
- 16 half-pint jars
- Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding pudding mix before mixing batter, and folding 1 cup chocolate chips into prepared batter. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake and cool as package directs. Cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth.
- In each of 16 half-pint jars, layer 1/2 cup cake cubes, 1 tablespoon icing and 1 tablespoon remaining chocolate chips. Repeat layers. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 serving: 530 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fibre), 6g protein.