Red Prince Apple Gem Scones with Clotted Cream
The Red Prince apples used in these scones make for a light and moist biscuit. Paired with clotted cream, a traditional English spread, these Red Prince Apple Gem Scones are the perfect treat to serve at a mid-day bridal shower or afternoon tea party.
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
2 Red Prince apples, cored and finely diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup salted butter, frozen
Demerara sugar for sprinkling, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine apples with lemon, sugar and cinnamon and let sit.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and baking powder, set aside.
4. In a small bowl, add milk and apple cider vinegar; let sit for a few minutes.
5. Grate frozen butter and add to flour, stirring to combine.
6. Drain the Red Prince apples and mix into flour and butter to coat. Pour milk into dry ingredients mixing with a fork until just combined being careful not to overwork the dough.
7. Roll dough to 1-inch (2.5 cm) thickness and with a cookie cutter cut into 1 ½” (3.5 cm) rounds. Sprinkle with demerara sugar (if desired) and bake for 15 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown.
8. Serve with clotted cream and good quality tea.
Makes 25 scones.