Pumpkin and Chicken Sausage Hash
“This can be served as a side or as the main dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I like to serve it topped with poached or fried eggs for breakfast.” —Valerie Donn, Williamsburg, Michigan
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cubed fresh pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package fully cooked apple chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice cut into 1/2-inch slices, 12 ounces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add pumpkin; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Add onion; cook 3 minutes longer. Add sausage, mushrooms, red and green peppers, and garlic powder. Cook and stir until pumpkin is tender, 10-12 minutes. Top with parsley before serving.
1 serving: 260 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fibre), 16g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.