Peppery Chicken with Potatoes
“We like this recipe because while we go to church on Sundays the chicken cooks and is ready for us when we get home.” – Lori Draves, Highland, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into wedges
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- Place potatoes and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix seasonings. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub seasoning mixture over outside and inside of chicken. Place chicken over vegetables.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Transfer vegetables to a platter; keep warm. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy. Serve with chicken.
8 ounces cooked chicken with 3/4 cup potato mixture : 616 calories, 30g fat (8g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 1346mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fibre), 61g protein.