Orange Shortbread Fingers
The tangy flavor of these shortbread fingers makes a pleasant change from traditional Christmas shortbread.
Number of servings : about 24 fingers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet :
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
- Into a medium bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, orange zest, and salt. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Knead the mixture until it forms a dough, then press it into the prepared pan. Score the dough into 24 narrow rectangles and prick with the tines of a fork. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a pale golden color.
- Remove from the oven and leave the shortbread to cool in the pan until it holds its shape enough to remove to a cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, cut the shortbread into fingers along the scored lines. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.