Oatmeal Porridge with Dried Fruit Compote
Warm your mornings with this hearty hot porridge. Its blend of slow-acting carbohydrates and protein will keep your brain fuelled for optimal performance despite the cold weather.
Photo: Reader’s Digest Brain Power Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbsp pistachios chopped, lightly toasted
- 1 cup skim milk
- Dried Fruit Compote
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried apricots diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp brown sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- To make the dried fruit compote, combine the raisins, apricots, cranberries and sugar, if using, in a saucepan. Pour in 1 cup (250 ml) water, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and cook over low heat until simmering, then simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover the pan, slightly increase the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the liquid has reduced. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from the heat.
- While the compote is cooking, combine the oats and 3 cups (750 ml) cold water in a saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until oats are soft and creamy.
- Serve the oatmeal straight away, topped with the dried fruit compote, sprinkled with the pistachios and drizzled with the milk.
Each serving provides 1130 kJ, 270 kcal, 9 g protein, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 g carbohydrate (17 g sugars), 7 g fibre and 50 mg sodium.