“This is an easy, versatile party appetizer that everyone loves. If you can’t find chorizo, ground beef or ground chicken are wonderful, too. Top with anything you like!” —Connie Krupp, Racine, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package frozen Tater Tots 32 ounces
- 7 oz fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 12 oz Velveeta cubed
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained, 15 ounces
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 medium ripe avocado cubed
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Test Kitchen Tips
- Process cheese melts like a dream; we have a special place in our hearts for the stuff. But if Velveeta's nostalgic charm is lost on you, just substitute an equal amount of another nice melting cheese like Monterey Jack or cheddar.
- Don't skimp on the bake time. You want the tots ultra crispy to stand up to the toppings.
- When you're shopping for tomatoes out of season, buy vine-ripened ones if you can find them. They tend to be juicier and more flavourful than other kinds. Otherwise, use halved cherry or grape tomatoes.
1 serving: 378 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1152mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fibre), 13g protein.