Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Shells
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
340 g (3/4 lb) giant shells
284 g (10 oz / 1 bag) spinach, trimmed, washed and spun dry, coarsely chopped
75 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
900 g (2 lb) mushrooms, sliced thinly
250 ml (1 cup) 35% cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
50 ml (1/4 cup) basil pesto
500 ml (2 cups / 190 g) Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 L (4 cups) tomato sauce
- In a large pot, cook the pasta al dente, following package directions. Drain and rinse, and set aside on a clean tea towel.
- In a large skillet, wilt the spinach in 30 ml (2 tbsp) of oil. Cool, drain well and set aside.
- In the same skillet, wilt the mushrooms in 45 ml (3 tbsp) of oil and cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cream and continue cooking 5 minutes until the sauce thickens somewhat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the spinach, pesto and half the cheese. Combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- Pour three-quarters of the tomato sauce into a large ovenproof casserole.
- Stuff the shells with the mushroom-spinach mixture and arrange them side by side in the casserole.
- Spoon the rest of the sauce over the shells and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2516