Mediterranean Tomato Bites
“My friend Mary served these lovely appetizers at a summer gathering several years ago, and I adapted it a bit to my taste. It’s a great August recipe when tomatoes and herbs are at their freshest!” —Susan Wilson, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package frozen puff pastry 17.3 ounces, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 6 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives coarsely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- minced fresh basil
- minced fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry. Cut each sheet into 16 squares; place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with Gouda cheese; top with tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Bake until golden brown, 14-18 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pastries on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper; return to freezer. To use, bake pastries as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through. Sprinkle with herbs.
Health Tip: Puff pastry is convenient, but very rich. Lighten up this appetizer by serving on toasted French bread slices. Decrease bake time slightly and skip the freeze option.
1 appetizer: 106 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.