Mediterranean Pastry Pinwheels
“These quick appetizers are irresistible. The flavours of sun-dried tomatoes and pesto balance beautifully.” —Kristen Heigl, Staten Island, New York
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16appetizers||20minutes + freezing||15minutes|
|16appetizers||20minutes + freezing|
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 package cream cheese softened, 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry; roll and trim into a 10-in. square.
- Beat cream cheese and pesto until smooth; stir in remaining ingredients. Spread cheese mixture on pastry to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style. Freeze 30 minutes. Cut crosswise into 16 slices.
- Bake cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pastry slices on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to airtight container; return to freezer. To use, preheat oven to 400°; bake pastries until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
1 appetizer: 170 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fibre), 4g protein.