“Add this to your meatless Monday lineup. It’s great with feta cheese on top.” —Elaine Ober, Brookline, Massachusetts
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can chickpeas or garbanzo beans 15 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes 14-1/2 ounces, cut up
- 1 can water-packed artichoke hearts 14 ounces, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Sir in remaining ingredients; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with couscous.
1 cup chickpea mixture with 2/3 cup couscous: 340 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fibre), 11g protein.