Mediterranean Chicken Pasta
“For special days, I make this cheesy pasta bake loaded with chicken and all sorts of veggies. Want a vegetarian version? Use vegetable stock and garbanzo beans.” —Liz Bellville, Havelock, North Carolina
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package uncooked tricolor spiral pasta 12 ounces
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup julienned soft sun-dried tomatoes not packed in oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can water-packed quartered artichoke hearts drained, 14 ounces
- 1 package fresh baby spinach 6 ounces
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese 4 ounces
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, sun-dried tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pot.
- Add broth and artichoke hearts; return to a boil. Stir in spinach and chicken; cook just until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta; stir into chicken mixture. Stir in feta cheese. If desired, top servings with basil and Parmesan cheese.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with sun-dried tomatoes that can be used without soaking. When using other sun-dried tomatoes that are not oil-packed, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft. Drain before using.
1-1/2 cups: 357 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fibre), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.