Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey
“My family enjoys this Thanksgiving turkey because it cooks up tender, tasty and golden brown. Build up flavour by marinating the meat, then grill it to add a tempting barbecued flavour.” —Ken Churches, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||10minutes + marinating||2-1/2hours + standing|
|12servings||10minutes + marinating|
|2-1/2hours + standing|
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey 12 to 14 pounds
- Combine the first 7 ingredients; set aside and refrigerate 1 cup for basting. Place 1 oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey inside inner bag; pour in remaining marinade. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat turkey. Place in a shallow roasting pan. Refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- Remove turkey; drain and discard marinade.
- Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and arrange breast side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, for 1 hour.
- If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals; turn the turkey. Baste with reserved marinade. Cook, covered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with marinade every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 170°. Remove turkey from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Conventional roasting method: Follow steps for marinating turkey overnight. Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a large roaster. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in a thigh reads 170°. Baste frequently with reserved marinade. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy; serve with turkey.
9 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without gravy): 407 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fibre), 67g protein.