Lynn Crawford’s Farmer’s Market Fruit Scones
This delicious recipe takes advantage of locally-sourced ingredients and is guaranteed to impress your guests this summer.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fresh fruit strawberries, blueberries and apricots
- 1/3 cup heavy 35% cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter chilled and cut in small pieces
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cream just until moistened, then gently fold in fruit.
- On a lightly floured work surface, knead dough gently until it comes together in a ball, about 5 minutes. Roll out into a disc 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick and cut into 8 wedges.
- Place scones 2 inches (5 cm) apart on a baking sheet. If desired, brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.