Lime-Raspberry Pie with Coconut Cream
“During my family trips to Florida, I’ve had Key lime pie from many restaurants, and each one is different. I wanted to create my own spin on the pie to make it my signature dessert. Whipped egg whites in the filling make it light and mousselike, sweet raspberries balance the tartness, and coconut and cashews amp up the tropical flavour. Garnish with fresh raspberries and toasted shredded coconut if you like.” —Elise Easterling, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||50minutes||25minutes + chilling|
|25minutes + chilling|
- 3 large egg whites
- 18 whole graham crackers crushed (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews finely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces each
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can coconut milk 13.66 ounces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and toasted flaked coconut Optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix crushed crackers, brown sugar and cashews; stir in melted butter. Press onto bottom and 2 in. up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, mix condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks until blended. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into milk mixture; pour into crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool 4 hours on a wire rack. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, covering when cold.
- Spoon cream layer from top of coconut milk into a large bowl (discard remaining liquid). Add whipping cream and confectioners' sugar to bowl; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread jam over pie. Dollop coconut cream over pie or serve on the side. If desired, top with raspberries and coconut.
- Light coconut milk is not recommended for this recipe.
- To toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
1 piece: 678 calories, 34g fat (20g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fibre), 11g protein.