Landmark Hot Chocolate
“With or without a nip of rum, my hot chocolate recipe has been a Wisconsin winter warmer for years. When the toboggan hills are calling, I skip the whipped cream and take a thermos to go. It’s always a hit and it ensures nobody is left out in the cold!” —Mark Phillips, Bayfield, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 oz dark chocolate candy bar chopped
- 4-1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Vanilla rum optional
- heavy whipping cream whipped
- Additional cinnamon stick optional
- Heat the first five ingredients over medium heat in a small saucepan just until mixture comes to a simmer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Remove cinnamon stick; add rum if desired. Pour into a mug; top with whipped cream. Garnish with cinnamon stick if desired.
1 cup: 680 calories, 51g fat (32g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 5g fibre), 6g protein.