Jam-Filled Wreaths and Hearts
“I make these beautiful wreath-shaped cookies with jewel-red centres every Christmas. The dusting of powdered sugar gives them a snowy look. My mother cut the recipe out of a newspaper some 30 years ago.” —Monica Wilson, Pomona, New York
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|36-48cookies||25minutes + chilling||10minutes/batch + cooling|
|36-48cookies||25minutes + chilling|
|10minutes/batch + cooling|
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 jar seedless raspberry jam (18 oz)
- confectioner's sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and allspice; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in oats and nuts; mix well. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round- or 2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Using a 1-in. round- or heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centre of half of the cookies. Place solid and window cookies on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread 1 tsp. jam over bottoms of solid cookies; top with window cookies. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Fill centers with additional jam if desired.
1 cookie: 166 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.