“In this Horchata recipe, the mixture of ground rice and almonds is accented with a hint of lime. Depending on your preference, you can use more or less water for a thinner or creamier beverage.” —James Schend, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick 3 inches
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- ground cinnamon optional
- Lime slices optional
- Place rice in a blender; cover and process 2-3 minutes or until very fine. Transfer to a large bowl; add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime zest and hot water. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 8 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer rice mixture to a blender; cover and process 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Add sugar; process until sugar is dissolved.
- Place a strainer over a pitcher; line with double-layered cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture over cheesecloth; using a ladle, press mixture through strainer.
- Stir in cold water. Serve over ice. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with lime.
3/4 cup: 134 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fibre), 3g protein.