Who has time to make from-scratch bagels? You do, with this easy recipe! The chewy golden bagels offer a hint of honey and will win over even the pickiest eaters.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water 110° to 115°
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons (plus 1/4 cup) honey divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, 3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt and egg; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth, firm dough forms, 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centres to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water and remaining honey to a boil. Drop bagels, 1 at a time, into boiling water. Cook bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with minced onion, sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Place bagels 2 in. apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Turn and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.
1 bagel: 265 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fibre), 7g protein.